Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Matters Most

While travelling today, I was reminded of the importance of something we often take for granted: good customer service. The reason I take it for granted is because I have grown accustomed to it because BPI Media Group has the best customer service out there. Let me tell you about my experiences today, and I think you'll be able to relate and we can all better appreciate the folks who make our jobs and lives not only easier, but enriched.

Being on the road teaches you a lot of things: what times to avoid the worst traffic, which exits are easiest to maneuver, and even which gas stations have the cleanest bathrooms. But, one thing you never fully get used to is a flat tire on the side of the road. Yes, this happened to yours truly today while travelling South on I-85.
My poor, tired dog, Hunter, waiting on roadside assistance with me.

Here's what I experienced as GOOD customer service from both roadside assistance and the service department that replaced my tire:
  • A friendly voice
  • An eagerness to help
  • A genuine concern for my "bear in the room" (my bear at the moment was the flat tire that brought me to a screeching halt on a hot summer day and kept me from making forward progress)
  • A quick resolution to my problem
  • A follow-up call to ensure my satisfaction

Here's what I experienced as BAD customer service from the person sent to put on my spare tire until I could get a new tire:
  • An unmet deadline (I was told someone would be there to help me within the hour, and it was 2.5x as long)
  • An excuse for not being on time and missing aforementioned deadline
  • A lack of professionalism

Fortunately, there were more positive experiences than negative, but these are the types of experiences that either bring customers back or keep them at bay. After working as a customer service representative at BPI Media Group for about 3 1/2 years, I learned what is most important at BPI: customers. That's why our mission statement is: “Our success is measured by the success of our customers.” BPI's customer service team does everything listed in the "good list" above and strives to make your project go as smoothly as possible every time. We want our customers to give us good word of mouth and positive feedback, and that is why customer service is equally as critical as a deadline to us.
Jolie, CSR @ BPI. She helps me with everything! Attention to detail is key for Jolie.
Angie, another CSR @ BPI who's friendly attitude shines through!

Here are just a couple of examples of how our CSRs and production crew at BPI go the extra mile for our customers:
-Customer calls at 1 pm Tuesday afternoon needing 365,000 copies of this mailer.
Not just any mailer. This one is full color, scores, mails and has to be out the door on Thursday (yes, this week!) But that's not all; there are 68 black plate changes for store location versioning and 18 4cp plate changes. It is on press as I type and will be ready to leave our dock by Thursday. Angie helped coordinate and schedule all the details of this project from start to finish to provide our customer with a confident sigh of relief to know this job has been handled.
-Customer emails high priority request for a line review with a big-box home improvement store. They need 53 versions of custom diecut header cards for their product asap. Challenge: dies take time to build. Since the quantity is very low for this initial printing, Jolie helps me figure out the most time and cost-efficient way of printing these: digitally. BPI received files end of day Friday, and these will be proofed, printed, diecut, laminated and in the customer's hands for assembly by this Friday.

These are just a couple of examples of how BPI's sales team works with our customer service team to help our customers' "bears" turn into problems checked off their to-do lists. This brings a smile to everyone's faces and keeps customers just like we want them: long term.
To learn more about our CSRs, sales team and management, click here.
Customer feedback is very important to us. Click here to tell us how we're doing--we really want to know!

1 comment:

  1. Great customer service can make any situation better! Loved talking to you yesterday and catching up (and getting the entire story, ha)! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete